Thursday, September 25, 2008

pieces of our mythology

the first time ak and i ever hung out (went out?), he called me for directions. well are you driving? i asked. "yes, i have a green jeep."

i'm sure there was more to our conversation, but that detail inexplicably sticks with me. i think about it probably once a week, actually. (little treasures like bits of memories and people's names tend to get trapped in my mind and roll around, i guess, like semi-precious stones in a rock tumbler. someday i'll take them out and they'll be shiny and smooth.)

several minutes later (he was running a little late, even way back then, and to tell the truth, he still is most of the time) i looked out the sixth story window of my apartment onto the street below. i saw a cute stranger parking a green jeep. my heart jumped. i felt wonderfully ill.

sometimes, i still do.

1 comment:

bad diary days said...

he makes me feel the same way. always has. thanks for helping with the surprise.

nick