Friday, June 13, 2008

don't be shy!

It was Kanye who said we're all self-consious, and then John Mayer later echoed this sentiment. I probably have less pop-culture clout than either of those gentlemen, but I'll admit it, I am. Part of the reason I waited nearly a year to figure out public transportation in Kansas City was intimidation. For all of the mass- transit riding I did in Chicago, bus routes have always puzzled me. Just when it seems that you've boarded the correct bus and you're sailing down the street toward your intended destination, the bus takes a sharp left and proceeds to zig-zag at random through the city. You there, seated near the rear window? You're powerless to stop it. Also, the bus driver will be visibly frustrated by your questions while the other passengers pretend they can't see or hear you.

But, you know, I've always thought necessity is the mother of change and encouragement is its father. Maybe personal benefit is a big brother or aunt or something. It took all of these factors to convince me to leave my car parked and board that shiny blue bus, and after experiencing the friendly and efficient service of KCATA, I couldn't be more confident in my choice.

Those who are still on the fence about the possibility of using the Metro for their daily commute might consider attending the How To Ride seminar this Saturday. The KCATA is throwing a party to teach new riders how to save money, conserve resources and basically party every morning with the people who are old pros at mass transit. Need more encouragement? How does "free three day pass for those in attendance" sound?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Simple is awesome. I will leave unsolicited tips occasionally for your readership. They will be totally unrelated to mass transportation. They will be annoyingly mother-ish, because, hey! I'm your mother. Today's tip:

Only have one set of sheets per bed. When they must be washed, be sure to hang them dry. Put them right back on the bed. Never fold a sheet. Absolutely never IRON a sheet: read some H.D. Thoreau instead.